Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Pox



Well, well, well, the chicken pox have arrived just in time for Thanksgiving. I am actually relieved. I believe it is a natural childhood illness that children with strong immune systems can handle quite well. I personally was 14 when I had them, and my Dr. said, and I quote, " I have never seen it cover someones face so badly." Of course my parents happened to be out of town and my older brother and sister tormented me, but that is another story for another day, perhaps!

So, my oldest (12.5) has the pox. His poor face! It looks like a very bad adolescent case of inflamed acne. He is doing well though. He is great about taking his herbs, drinking his herbal tea and wanting natural fruit popsicles to ease the itch of the ones in his mouth. So, I thought I would post what we are doing for the pox. I am planning on 3 other ones getting it, so I am preparing in bulk!

Baths:
I fill a muslin bag (a knee high, or sock would also do), with Oatmeal, Baking Soda, Himalayan Sea Salt, Althea root (Marshmallow), Comfrey, Echinacea, Calendula & Chickweed. The herbs are for their soothing and antibacterial properties. The oatmeal is to help the itch and the baking soda and sea salt to help them dry out. He steeps in his tea bath and gently squeezes the bag to let out all the good stuff, and then washes his body gently with the bag. We empty out the contents after each bath and rinse out the bag and use new herbs for the next bath.

After the bath we apply tea tree and lavender essential oil directly to the most inflamed and itchy ones, and Comfrey and Plantain Salve to the others. The salve is a drawing salve so it draws out any infection and helps heal the pox faster and with less itching. We want them to dry out, but we want to ward off infection as well.

He sips burdock, echinacea, calendula, spearmint, red raspberry and nettle tea hourly. (see recipe below)

We also give him Echinacea tincture and Infection Fighter tincture as well to help his body internally, and boost his immune system.

He still has a low grade fever from time to time, and it make his head ache, so I rub the headache roller (lavender and peppermint essential oils) on his forehead, temples and back of neck. I also rub Immunity Blend on his spine and feet. He is also going to the chiropractor for regular adjustments, as this helps his immunity and strengthens his body systems as well.

His appetite isn't huge and he loves to have his favorites, which are Miso Soup (seaweed, which is high in antioxidants and minerals) and Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. We also have him drinking young coconut juice to help keep his electrolyte's and mineral levels up. http://http://www.living-foods.com/articles/youngcoconuts.html
This morning we watched a show together, and we are doing a modified school schedule, and of course he loves to read. Sadly he is missing violin and church activities and feels a little cabin feverish. I think I will bust out some games for this afternoon. Any other ideas for fun pox activities?
Rash Relief Formula
Modified from the original recipe by Aviva Jill Romm's book "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children" (one of my MUST HAVE, all time favorite books on health)
(these measurements are for dried herbs. If you have fresh, double the amounts)
1/2 oz. echinacea root
1/4 oz. burdock root
1/4 oz. calendula blossoms
1/4 oz. nettle
1/4 oz. red raspberry leaves
1 tsp. dried spearmint leaves
1 qt. boiling water
To prepare: Combine all herbs. Put one ounce of the mixture in a glass mason jar and pour in the boiling water. Cover and steep for 2 hours.
To use: Take by mouth throughout the day. We like to sweeten it with agave or honey.
* You can also make this blend into a tincture to have on hand for general rash or skin problem relief and for general immunity.




3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm sorry to hear about that for him. The chickenpox hit our house about a month or so ago. The Comfrey/Plantain salve worked wonders. We made herb popsicles and also had a polka dot party using everything with polka dots to make it fun. Now everytime my son sees a blemish on me he says, 'Mom, you have the polka dots!" Good luck!

Shannon said...

How exciting! Not for him, of course, but we've been on the hunt for the pox for a while now. Any chance of a party?? :)

Thanks for the tips. I haven't had to deal with this for a good decade so all this is great to know!

- Shannon

Amy Jones said...

No Pictures???!!! That's the best part of the pox, is the pictures.