Saturday, January 13, 2007

Dream A Little Dream-Dream Pillows


Dream Pillows are a fantastic asset to your bed! I have heard about them for years, but never partook in their glory. I would often drop a few drops of EO on a cotton ball and put it near my pillow, and of course put on my sleep blend "Beautiful Dreamer" before bed, but the dream pillow seems to complete the whole aromatic sleeping experience.
I have studied a lot about cultures and their obsession with scent. From the very beginnings of time, to the Pharaoh's castle to the less affluent tribes, scent has played a part. In Ancient Egypt, women would make scent cones out of tree resin and essential oils. They would then wrap their hair around them, and as the sun would beat on their heads, the scent would be released and run down their chest and necks. Scent was reserved for special occasions in the lower tribes, and was used daily by the royalty. Baths were scented, hair, bodies, candles, table linens, and of course the bed. Back in a time where the bed was considered as monumental as the throne, scent played an important role. Often the bed was the most decorated of all furnishings. The bed would be carved out of precious wood, inlaid with jewels and gold and silver, draped with beautiful embroidered, tasseled and woven linens. Small packets of herbs would find themselves tucked under blankets, pillows, and tied to bed posts. Each herb and oil had a different use, purpose, chant, prayer or desire associated with it. So, when I heard of dream pillows, I automatically associated them with these ancient rituals.
Recently I made my own. Now, anyone who knows me knows that my poor mother who is a master seamstress tried diligently to pass on her skill. Sadly what came out of it was a massive amount of odd looking hair scrunchies and a pair of pants fit for a genie. (Not to mention a C- in Home EC.) However, I hope that what I lack in sewing prowess I have made up for in the kitchen. I like to cook, and enjoy good food for my family. I also like to concoct all sorts of body care products, which eventually turned in to my business. However, with dream pillows, it is a simple enough job that even I, who was not blessed with sewing skills could make quite a nice looking one. It is really quite simple. Pick out some fabric, scraps are fine. I like my pillows about the size of my palm or a small bean bag. Cut the fabric into two equal squares, sew inside outs together, leaving a small gap to insert the herbs, and flip outside in. Fill with herbs and oils, sew shut. Now you can see why I was not asked to be a commentator for the Saturday morning show "Sewing With Nancy", as my sewing dialect is neither understandable or easy to follow! So, I will post a link that does a much better job. How to make Dream Pillows - Crafts
I think I will include these with my Christmas gifts next year. I love how my pillow smells when I lie down. As scent is immediately transferred into memory, it is a simple yet powerful way to associate these smells with good sleep. It is truly a dreamy aromatic experience. My children will be my next test subjects. I hope the dream pillows will stay just that and not turn into flying objects that smell good. We shall see!
BOOK Recommendation: For more insight into the ritual of scent in ancient cultures as well as a very good story, I recommend the book Sarah by Marek Halter. I just finished it in 24 hours and it was fascinating!

No comments: